Socca Pancakes are a healthy version of breakfast pancake that can be used not only for breakfast but as a substitute wrap that you can add your favorite topping on, here is the base recipe of the Socca Pancake with some variations on toppings, it’s like a breakfast pizza with a healthy twist.
Socca pancakes are a chickpea crepe that is a great source of protein and fiber and it makes a tasty alternative to pancakes or toast for breakfast. Bake this gluten-free pancake and top with poached eggs, herbs, and any other topping you choose.
Socca Pancake Base Ingredients
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- pinch of paprika
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- topping suggestions: poached eggs and fresh herbs
- In a medium bowl whisk all ingredients together. Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes or overnight in the fridge.
- When you are ready to make the Socca, heat a nonstick pan with a little bit of olive oil, add the toast and cook for a few minutes on medium until golden brown in spots. Flip and cook another few minutes on the other side.
You can either make one large pancake or divide the mixture into two (including the diced onion and sundried tomatoes) and cook two slightly smaller and thinner pancakes.
Socca Pancakes with Roasted Peppers and Avocado (pictured above)
1 small red onion, finely diced
- 6 sundried tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 460g/1lb jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
Socca Pancake with Pizza toppings (as above)
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- 1 small zucchini and/or yellow squash, ribboned with a vegetable peeler and tossed lightly in olive oil
- 5 pitted olives, sliced in half lengthwise
- Small handful sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 small sprig fresh thyme, optional