Here is a wonderful Dash Diet dessert recipe that can be made in 10 minutes and look at some of the health benefits pineapple has.
Bromelain is found in pineapple and has been proven to reduce swelling (inflammation), especially of the nose and sinuses, after surgery or injury. It is also used for hay fever, treating a bowel condition that includes swelling and ulcers (ulcerative colitis), removing dead and damaged tissue after a burn, preventing the collection of water in the lung (pulmonary edema), relaxing muscles, stimulating muscle contractions, slowing clotting, improving the absorption of antibiotics, preventing cancer, shortening labor, and helping the body get rid of fat.
- 5 Cups Whole milk
- 14 oz Pineapple chunks in pineapple juice (1 1/2 cans)
- 4 Tbsp Coconut powder (finely shredded coconut)
- 1 Tbsp Corn flour
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- Boil the milk in a heavy bottom wide pan on medium high heat. Stir often to make sure the milk does not burn in the bottom of the pan. Cook until the milk is reduced to about half of its original volume.
- Mix well 1 tablespoon Corn flour in 4 table spoons of water and add this in the milk, also add Coconut powder 4 table spoons in the milk and cook the milk for another 10 minutes on low heat. Then turn off the heat and let the milk cool down.
- Drain 1 can pineapple using strainer let the juice dripped through without squeezing. Note: we will use juice and pineapple both.
- Cut each chunk of pineapple in about 3 to 4 small pieces.
- In a pan put all the pineapple juice drained from 1 can, add ¾ cup sugar and the pineapple pieces and cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes: until the pineapple pieces become soft and translucent.
- Then from another pineapple can, take out half of pineapples and half of its juice- blend it blender. Add this in the cooked pineapple mixture and cook for additional 10 minutes. Then turn off the heat.
- Let pineapple mixture come down to room temperature.
- Once both the milk and pineapple mixture are cooled down, add the pineapple mixture in the milk and stir gently.Keep in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving the desert. You can use the remaining half of pineapple chunks to decorate the kheer making floral patterns and any other way you might like.