Meatballs with Mushroom Sauce
Here is a very low calorie and tasty dinner recipe, getting away from the very rich tomato recipes, this mushroom and spinach gravy is delicious and about 200 calories per serving. This recipe is fantastic made in a slow cooker.
- 12 oz 96% lean ground beef
- 1 cup finely chopped puffed brown rice
- 4 cups unsalted beef stock
- ground pepper
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon of rosemary
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 8 cups washed spinach
- 2 tbsp arrowroot, dissolved in 2 tsp. of the stock
- 1 oz Grated Parmesan cheese
- Place beef in a mixing bowl, and push to one side of it. Add rice and 1 1/2 cups of stock in the other side. Add rosemary, pepper and let rice absorb stock for about 1 minute.
- With electric mixer, mix for about 1 minute until both sides are homogenous. Form into meatballs.
- Coat skillet with olive oil cooking spray on medium heat. Add meatball to hot skillet and brown on both sides. Transfer meatballs into holding plate.
- Spray skillet again with oil. Add the mushrooms and onion, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until brown. Add spinach, and cook until wilted.
- Add remaining stock and arrowroot, and bring to a simmer. Whisk until thickened.
- Add meatballs and simmer until cooked through, 6-8 minutes.