Spelt Pesto Salad
The Ancient grain of spelt has a nutty flavor to it and it is packed with nutrients. A great way to add spelt to your diet is with Spelt pasta. Spelt pasta retains its texture and holds up perfectly with the pesto sauce in this recipe.
Spelt helps regulate blood glucose levels and produce energy and protein, and is a great way to get an extra boost of energy. Here is a tasty and very nutritious Get your Spelt Pasta here to make your Pesto Salad that is great hot or cold, lunch or dinner.
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 box Spelt pasta
- pine nuts, to garnish
- basil leaves, to garnish
- 1 cup tightly packed basil (one package, 3/4 oz, 21g)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, or more
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp of Chia seeds
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 6 Cherry tomatoes
- To make the pesto, combine the basil, parmesan, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic, chia seeds, and pepper into a food processor and process until smooth. Add olive oil gradually, and use more as needed.
- Bring to a boil a large pot. Add noodles and cook until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, cook asparagus in a skillet over low medium heat, or blanch them in hot water.
- When the pasta is ready, drain water, and return it to the pot. Add vegetables, pine nuts, and desired amount of pesto. Mix and plate.
- Garnish with basil leaves and freshly grated parmesan