Here is a low sodium chili recipe that is a big success with my family and friends. There are now no salt canned goods now available in your local supermarket, when making your chili this is the best time to use these.
You could try ground turkey instead of ground beef for a healthier option.
Tip:This recipe is quite spicy; you can reduce the paprika, Tabasco and cumin quantities if you want to make you chili a little milder.
- 1lb lean ground 90:10 beef
- 1 can no-salt-added pinto beans
- 1 can no-salt-added kidney beans
- 1 can low-sodium crushed tomatoes
- 1 can low-sodium tomato puree
- 4 teaspoons oregano
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 1⁄2teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green peppersDirections
In a skillet add a little olive oil and brown the ground beef, add peppers, onions and garlic. – This just halves to cooking time in your slow cooker.
Mix all ingredients in crock pot and let cook at low heat for 4- 8 hours.
Garnish with a little low sodium cheese and spring onion.