Mediterranean Quinoa with Spinach and Chickpeas
This one-pot meal has healthy fats, dark leafy greens, filling fiber, plant-based protein and loads of great flavor.
Start with sautéing some garlic, shallots and red pepper flakes in a teeny bit of olive oil. Then you add in your spices, some white quinoa, some olives and some chopped sun dried tomatoes and then you just leave the whole thing to cook for about 20 minutes. When its’ done, the quinoa will be fluffy, the pot will be fragrant and you’ll just stir in your spinach and chickpeas.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon Chia Seeds
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup sliced green olives
- ½ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water (or more broth)
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas
- Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, shallots and pepper flakes and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add thyme and chia seeds and cook for another 30 seconds or so.
- To the saucepan, add quinoa, olives and sun dried tomatoes. Stir continuously for 15 – 30 seconds. Add liquids, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to simmer for 20 – 25 minutes until liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove lid and stir in spinach and chickpeas. Let sit for a few minutes to allow spinach time to wilt. Season with and serve immediately.