Dash Minestrone Soup with Red Wine
Minestrone is a thick, hearty soup that has many health benefits. Most Minestrone Soups contain vegetables, pasta, and peas or beans. This version uses unsalted chicken broth and fresh tomatoes rather than canned tomatoes to limit the sodium content.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1 carrot, diced
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups fat-free, unsalted chicken broth
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 1 can (16 ounces or about 1 1/2 cups) canned chickpeas or red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked whole-grain small shell pasta
- 1 small zucchini, sliced and diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup red wine (optional)
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and continue cooking for another minute. Stir in broth, tomatoes, spinach, beans and pasta. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add zucchini. Cover and cook for 5 minutes more.
Remove from heat and stir in the basil. Ladle into individual bowls and serve immediately.